Monday, September 1, 2014

White Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats with Peanuts


I drafted another post a while ago but couldn't bring myself to hit publish. I broke up with my boyfriend in a while ago and the things I had written were still too raw and I wasn't ready to share them. I'm constantly trying to busy myself, the evenings are filled with tennis dates or hours at the gym, weekends are spent with mom and friends, and recently, I ate and drank my way through Montreal, coming home with Fairmount bagels stuffed into my luggage, permeating my clothes with their sweet yeasty fragrance.

Finally, more than a month later, I've found peace and forgiveness. I was staring at old pictures I took of Jacques and felt strong enough to contemplate his kind brown eyes, his crow's feet, that smile that always made me feel safe, his deep chuckle that I could never get sick of. Some days I miss him terribly.




We weren't engaged but had plans to get married in a few years, we were that couple. We had started a list of potential wedding songs, bookmarked pictures of our dream home, daydreamed taking time off work and travelling together. It's difficult to go from that level of intimacy to constant fighting, crying, more fighting, and finally, breaking up. There were a few fleeting moments were I felt certain that what we were going through was just a rough patch, something all couples go through, but our unresolved differences were too significant to ignore. I've never been good at talking about my feelings and I recognize my fault for not asking what I wanted and needed from our relationship sooner. At least I'm learning from my mistakes and trying to be a better partner in my future relationships. I guess that's important right?



Heartbreak aside, let's talk about rice krispies. I've had a jumbo box of the snap, crackle and pop sitting on my kitchen counter for at least half a year (surprisingly not stale yet!) and was browsing through David Lebovitz's site when I came upon this recipe. It's super easy and can quickly satisfy any sugar craving. 

The white chocolate adds sweetness and sophistication to the treats, the peanuts add a nutty crunch and the salt counters the sugar just right. I ate two large squares in quick succession while watching Blue Bloods with mom and sneaked a few bites for breakfast the next morning. I brought these to work and they were gone by the end of the day. They are a sure crowd-pleaser.


White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats with Peanuts
From David Lebovitz adapted from the original Kellogg's recipe

I added extra salt since I can't resist the combination of salty and sweet. You can omit it entirely if you wish.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons (45g) salted butter
3 1/2 ounces (100g) white chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1 cup (100g) roasted and salted peanuts
10 ounce (300g) bag marshmallows, snipped in half
6 cups (200g) Rice Krispies


Preparation
Butter a 9-inch square pan.  In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the white chocolate and salt, stir until melted.

Add the marshmallows and stir constantly over the heat until completely melted. (If they start to scorch on the bottom, remove from heat and continue to stir, placing the pan back on the heat occasionally, stirring until smooth.

Remove from heat and using a rubber spatula, stir in the peanuts and Rice Krispies until well combined. Scrape into the buttered pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with kosher salt and let cool. 


Cut into squares or rectangles. They are best enjoyed the day they're made, but can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days.



Recipe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment